How to drive traffic to your website
In the space of a few short years, websites have become an integral part of marketing for nearly every business. In fact, it’s hard to imagine how we found customers before we had websites. This means that one of the most important aspects of marketing is being able to drive customers to your website – and in the face of ever-increasing competition, it’s something that deserves to be the focus of your marketing activity.
There are lots of different ways of encouraging visitors to your website and it’s not a matter of simply picking one. You’ll need to figure out which ones work best for you and which ones are most cost-effective at not only bringing traffic to the site, but bringing visitors that actually convert to become customers. What will work best for you clearly depends on what type of business you are and on your target audience – but here are 10 proven methods for you to consider.
- Advertising – social media advertising doesn’t necessarily require a huge budget, but it can be a very effective way to drive visitors to your site. Work out a strategy to attract the audience you’re looking for, and then use A/B testing to refine your campaign.
- On-page SEO – it may not be the most exciting part of marketing, but paying attention to your SEO is still important. Make sure you make the most of meta descriptions and image alt text, as well as using internal links to signpost new content.
- Post your website content on platforms such as Facebook and LinkedIn. The latter, in particular, is the world’s largest professional social network and your presence there well not only send visitors to your website but also raise your profile within your industry.
- Incorporate an email sign up on your website and then use email marketing to attract visitors. It has been proven to be one of the most effective forms of marketing, and is a good way off reminding existing customers of your offering.
- Make sure your website is optimised for mobile phone use and for other devices, as there is nothing more off-putting than reaching a site which is obviously only suitable for viewing on a computer screen.
- Interact with your target audience across social media platforms and become part of the community that you are trying to attract. Building a dedicated user forum where visitors can ask questions and feel part of the community may work well, particularly for suppliers of technical and IT products.
- Keep track of your analytics data and use the information to structure your marketing strategy. Check out your most popular pages and who is visiting them, and look at how they are being referred to your site.
- Post your content to aggregator sites such as Reddit. The key to success here is posting relevant content to an appropriate thread, and not to overdo it.
- Mix-up your content with a variety of long and short posts, and use images and videos as much as possible. Video marketing boosts information retention and has been shown to be highly successful way of putting your marketing message across.
- Make sure that every piece of content adds value for your audience – in particular, webinars and masterclasses are popular and will draw visitors to your website.
This is by no means exhaustive list of the ways in which you can encourage people to come to your website. Look at what your competition is doing and where they are being successful, and do everything you can to improve your own site in terms of speed and responsiveness. Pay attention to keywords and referrals, and how they drive traffic. Most importantly, remember, this is not a one-off task but needs to be an ongoing activity.